Mia Carter is a writer, graphic designer, WordPress website designer, voiceover artist, script writer, journalist, SEO consultant, coder and pet care expert. She is available to assist with a vast array of different projects.
This following is a small sampling of Mia’s professional experience. But really, it’s her work that speaks volumes, so stop by the articles section to read samplings of her writing. Questions? Need help with a project? Contact her via the contact page.
October 2016 – Current FOUNDER/DEVELOPER/WRITER, iSPRIGG DIGITAL
- Developing brand identities for new clients. I then implement these customized branding strategies for the client, including logo design, social media-related graphic design, content writing, lead page/landing page design and website design.
- Building WordPress websites from scratch for clients, including company websites, personal websites, product websites and non-profit websites. Tasks include custom HTML/CSS coding, graphic design of all website elements and writing all of on-site content.
- Overseeing social media marketing campaigns for clients on platforms such as Facebook. This includes researching the target audience, developing a marketing strategy and implementing this strategy. I also design any and all graphics required for marketing.
- Providing website and blog content for clients in a diverse range of professions and industries.
January 1999 – Current FREELANCE WRITER
- Producing engaging blog posts and website content for private clients who deal a vast range of topics, including news, pets, real estate, investing, health and wellness, technology, law and beyond. Responsibilities include researching keywords for inclusion to ensure each blog post or web page is SEO-friendly.
- Developing and pitching story ideas on an as-needed basis for print publications and online publications. I also write scripts for a number of video producers.
- Maintaining relations with numerous clients, including daily and weekly publications by accepting assignments as needed. Publications include dozens of different blogs and websites and print publications, including The Animal Print, Dog Fancy, The Reading Daily Times Chronicle, The Burlington Daily Times Chronicle, The Winchester Daily Times Chronicle, The Woburn Daily Times Chronicle, The Tewksbury Town Crier, The Wilmington Town Crier and The Stoneham Independent, amongst many others.
February 2006 – Current FREELANCE CODER AND WORDPRESS DESIGNER
- Writing new coding, primarily for WordPress websites, in a number of coding languages, including CSS, HTML, and php. I am also proficient in C++ and Python, amongst others.
- Revising existing coding and scripts to achieve the desired functionality or appearance.
- Designing new WordPress websites from the ground up, including website architecture, website content, graphics, page layout and all functionalities. I have created WordPress websites for e-commerce, content sites, personal websites and various company websites.
January 2012 – June 2014 DATA ANALYST, GOOGLE.COM
- Performed comprehensive analysis of various search algorithm elements and the corresponding search result data, evaluating for efficacy, relevance and quality of search results.
- Developed recommendations for new algorithm components and alterations of existing algorithm elements, based upon analysis of aforementioned data.
- Worked with senior programmers, providing feedback and assisting with fine-tuning algorithm updates prior to widespread launch.
- Also worked for Google from September 2007 to April 2009.
April 2009 – July 2012 SENIOR EDITOR, SUITE101.COM (now Suite.io)
- Editing non-fiction web content on a variety of topics, including health and wellness, pet care, home and garden, technology, news, politics, finance and beyond. Content was edited for grammar, flow and clarity. Articles were also vetted for accuracy.
- Serving in a leadership role for a web-based community, providing advice and instruction to writers of varying ability levels on topics such as writing and grammar, search engine optimization, interviewing and research.
- Writing content on a range of different topics, including pet care, parenting, health, finance and more.
June 2008 – April 2010 EDITOR, CBS RADIO AFFILIATE WBZ NEWSRADIO 1030
- Solely overseeing the newsroom staff’s assignments and activities in an editorial/producer role.
- Serving in a gatekeeper role by monitoring news wires, email and other sources, and selecting relevant news stories for air. Responsibilities also included selecting coverage angles for each story.
- Directing a team of 2 reporters, 4 anchors and 2 writers during each shift by providing story assignments and delegating other newsroom tasks to ensure seamless news coverage on an all-news CBS radio affiliate.
- Conducting interviews and research for news stories and feature stories for air.
- Editing audio for quality, length and content and preparing the cuts for air.
- Writing scripts for voicers, wraps, briefs and extended radio pieces from information sources including wire copy, press releases, interviews and other sources.
- Addressing listener complaints, concerns and suggestions regarding our on-air news coverage.
September 1998 – June 2008 NEWS EDITOR, WAKEFIELD DAILY TIMES CHRONICLE
- Reading and editing all press releases, public service announcements and news and feature stories for accuracy, clarity of thought, grammar and content.
- Supervising a team of freelance writers and photographers and overseeing assignments to cover various local events, human interest stories and town government meetings.
- Training new writers and interns to write in a manner that was consistent with the publication’s house style, in addition to working hand-in-hand with budding reporters and writers to equip them with strong journalism skills.
- Researching and authoring relevant and late-breaking news stories.
- Maintaining positive relationships with readers, the public and a wide array of news sources.
January 2008 – November 2015 FREELANCE WRITER, DEMAND MEDIA
- Authoring how-to articles that were informative, SEO-friendly and instructive. Content was published on a vast array of sites including eHow and Livestrong.com, amongst others.
March 2008 – July 2012 PET CARE FEATURE WRITER, SUITE101.COM
- Writing an average of 1-2 articles per day on a pet care-related topic.
- Researching Google search trends to determine what keywords would be apt to generate strong page views and revenue from contextual advertising.
- Maintaining a pet care blog that addresses reader questions and other pet care-related issues.
- Working with fellow Suite101 writers that contribute to the pet care topic to improve their writing quality, earning potential and to increase page views. I also provided consultations on how to create content webs and optimize articles for search engines.
January 2009 – November 2011 EXAMINER, EXAMINER.COM
- Writing 3-4 weekly articles with a local slant as the Boston Pets Examiner and as the Boston Crime Examiner.
- Monitoring local news happenings to identify pet-related and crime-related story ideas that are then researched and used as sources for articles.
January 1999 – October 2008 FEATURE WRITER, MIDDLESEX EAST PUBLICATIONS
- Pitching, researching and authoring lead feature stories on a vast array of topics for the weekly supplement that appears in ten different publications.
June 2007 – July 2012 PET & DOG EXPERT, JUSTANSWER.COM
- Answering inquiries from pet owners seeking help with their pet-related questions.
- Specializing in questions concerning basic husbandry, training the resolution of animal behavioral problems and health assessment.
- SIMMONS COLLEGE, Boston, MA
- Studied: Philosophy and Communications
- Degree: Bachelor of Arts
- GPA: 3.98
- MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Boston, MA
- Studied: Computer Science & Programming
- GPA: 3.95
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY – CUMMINGS SCHOOL OF VETERINARY MEDICINE, Boston, MA
- Studied: Veterinary Medicine
- GPA: 3.98
Proficient in WordPress, CSS, HTML, php, C++, Python, Quark XPress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Office, iWeb, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, iNews, Newsboss and beyond. I’m also familiar with an array of additional web-based content management systems.
Member of Mensa International (2003 – Current)
In order to gain admission to Mensa International, you must score in the 98th percentile on a standardized IQ test.
Member of The Prometheus Society (2006 – Current)
In order to gain admission to The Prometheus Society, you must score in the 99th percentile on a standardized IQ test.